So, what is Modern Day Medical Micro-Needling?
For skin micro-needling, we use an electric skin needling device made especially for this purpose. The device is a pen shaped studded with 12 very fine needles. It is a medical device used in micro needling to break down old scar tissue and to stimulate skin cells to proliferate. This cell multiplication results in the formation of new tissue layers of elastin and collagen fibers as well as in new capillaries for an improved blood supply. Topical numbing cream is typically used.
- Mild to moderate acne scarring; any new or old scars
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Loose, lax skin
- Skin texture and pore size
- Stretch marks
- Hair restoration
The device slides along the skin, penetrating the upper layers of the skin to a depth from .25mm of up to 2.5mm depending upon type of treatment and body area, to create numerous tiny needle wounds. The procedure prompts the body to respond through the creation of new collagen and elastin fibers. In response to the stimulus, the skin plumps and thickens, reducing the appearance of scars, and fine lines and wrinkles.
The skin is cleaned, and numbing cream may or may not be applied, depending on current health and medications, to lessen discomfort. For better results we use a collagen-stimulating product like Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin-C serum or skin lightener for pigmentation during the procedure. A small handheld pen-like device with a sterile, disposable tip with 12 tiny needles is then used to pierce the skin. Our needling pen’s multi-speed and adjustable needle depth allow needles to pierce the skin’s layer at 90 degrees and increase the absorption of products. After the treatment, soothing Hyaluronic acid are used to hydrate, heal and protect the skin.
Most people will experience redness and mild swelling in a similar way as a mild sunburn for 24-48 hours and there may be minimal pin-point bleeding and/or bruising. Within a week or two, you will notice that your skin is smoother and more radiant looking but the full effects won’t be seen until a few months later.
The inflammatory reaction of the skin is extremely short and fades significantly within hours from redness to pinkish that may last for 12 to 48 hours. In order to reduce visible redness, we recommend hyaluronic acid after the procedure, and to protect the skin with zinc based sunblock. The use of mineral makeup is recommended after procedure.What are the additional benefits of Medical Micro-Needling?
- Dramatically increases the effectiveness and penetration of active ingredients in topical preparation
- Stimulates circulation and collagen production
- Medical grade titanium needles makes it non-allergenic to human tissue
- Cost effective compared to other resurfacing procedures
- Can be performed on all skin types, including ethnic skin
- It can be used on all areas of the scalp, face, body including fragile skin like around eyes, mouth and neck
What effects does the Medical Micro-Needling have on the skin?
- improves skin texture and reduces the appearance of wrinkles
- stimulates tissue regeneration
- disfiguring scars, especially acne scars can be improved as new collagen fibers elevate the depressed scar tissue with the periphery skin
- pore size reduction
- improves the appearance of stretch marks
Is Medical Micro-Needling painful?
Prior to the treatment, numbing cream (lidocaine) can be applied to minimize pain that is felt during the procedure depending on tolerance level and current medications.
Medical Micro-needling is safe to use on all skin types and all skin colors. There is no risk of post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation.How many treatments do I need and how often can Medical Micro Micro-Needling procedures be repeated?
Micro-needling can be safely repeated every 4-6 weeks until you achieve the desired results. For collagen induction we recommend to start with 3 treatments, but with a minimum separation time of 4 to 6 weeks between treatments. For scar reduction an average of 3 to 6 treatments are recommended. The number of treatments required will depend on how each individual responds to the treatments, and the extent of the damage at the beginning. Micro-needling can be used on all skin parts of the body (neck, décolleté, arms, legs, etc). Most people will begin to see results after the very first appointment.Risks of post-op infections?
Since the tiny pricking channels close within one hour, and provided the procedure is done under clinical conditions, post-op infections are extremely unlikely.What should I avoid on my skin after treatment?
To ensure the right healing environment, for 2-3 days do not use AHA’s (glycolic Acid), retinol, acidic or “active” ingredients. Exposure to sun should also be avoided or zinc based sunblock should be used.What are the side effects of the Medical Micro-Needling procedure?
There are virtually no negative side effects, and none have ever been reported in over 150,000 procedures performed worldwide.Am I a candidate for the Medical Micro- Needling?
Medical micro-needling can be safely performed on all skin types and all skin colors. As the epidermis and in particular, melanocytes in the basal area are left intact. There is minimal risk of pigment change or post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. Skin micro-needling can treat sensitive and fragile areas that are difficult to treat with other procedures. These areas include the eyes, the neck and the back of the hands.
However, it is NOT suitable for patients who:
- Have used Accutane (isotretinoin) within the last three months
- Have open wounds, cuts or abrasions on the skin
- Have had radiation treatment to the skin within the last year
- Have any kind of current skin infection, condition, herpes simplex in the area to be treated
- Are pregnant or breast feeding (due to topical numbing cream penetration)
- Have any history of keloid or hypertrophic scars or poor wound healing